Soups, especially in these cold months, are one of our favorites. Try this 30-minute soup that's vegan, gluten free, creamy, sweet and spicy - warming and exotic at the same time. It also freezes well for quick and easy dinner/lunch later on. Adding peanut butter to soup may sound a bit strange to some, but after trying this recipe, you will be happy that you did!
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 pound carrots, scrubbed (or peeled) and chopped (~4 cups)
- Salt and Pepper
- 4 cups Veggie Stock (+ 1 cup water to thin if necessary)
- 1/3 cup creamy or crunchy salted natural peanut butter (use less for a less intense PB flavor) or almond butter
- Chili garlic sauce: 2 Tbs Sriracha sauce, 1 Tbs seasoned rice vinegar, 5-6 cloves of garlic, minced, 1 Tbs sesame oil, 1 Tbs honey, 1 White wine vinegar - mix all together
- Toppings: Fresh basil, cilantro, or mint, Sriracha hot sauce
- Heat a large pot over medium heat.
- Dice onion and garlic. Add to pot with 1 Tbsp coconut or olive oil (or nonstick spray). Add carrots and cook for 5 minutes.
- Season with a healthy pinch each salt and pepper, then add veggie stock and 2 cups of water and stir.
- Bring to a low boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook for 20 minutes, or until veggies are tender (test by cutting a larger piece of carrot in half – it should cut with ease).
- Transfer to a blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Add peanut butter and chili garlic sauce to the blender and blend to combine.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. For a touch of added sweetness, add a Tbsp or so of brown sugar, maple syrup or agave nectar (or honey if not vegan). Add more chili garlic sauce for more heat.
- Serve immediately with fresh basil or herbs of choice. Serve with sriracha for extra heat. (Note: Serves 4)