Avocado can act as a “nutrient booster” by helping increase the absorption of fat-soluble nutrients like Vitamins A, D, K and E. One-fifth of a medium avocado (1oz) has 50 calories and contributes nearly 20 vitamins and minerals, making it a great nutrient food choice.
They are the right companion to salty pretzels and delicious in a sandwich with broccoli and spicy greens. In addition, this recipe is fast and easy to prepare. Enjoy.
- 4 cups (about 8 ounces) broccoli florets
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 4 pretzel buns or any of your favorite bread (we prefer whole grain bread) and add pretzels on top of the avocado for taste and crunchiness
- 4 ounces cheddar (optional - we prefer without)
- 1 avocado (1/4 per sandwich), sliced
- 4 small handfuls of mustard greens, lettuce (based on your preference or what you have in the refrigerator)
- Preheat the broiler to high. On a baking sheet, toss the broccoli with the olive oil, salt, and pepper. Broil for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the broccoli begins to look crispy.
- In a medium bowl, combine the mustard, shallot, vinegar, and maple syrup. Add the broccoli to the dressing and toss to combine.
- Cut the pretzel buns or any other bread you like in half and place both halves on a baking sheet. Put 1-ounce of cheese (if used) on the top portion each bun. Broil for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the bottom half of each bun is nicely toasted.
- Assemble each sandwich with the broccoli, avocado, and a small handful of baby mustard greens. (Note: Serves 4)