Nonni Makk was so kind to share her Superball recipe with Kinney Multisport. Irresistible post workout (Note: They do not travel well on a long bike ride in the sun but something you look forward to after your training). Bonus: They are gluten free and no added sugar.
Side note from our end:
Fresh ground cocoa beans preserve all of the living enzymes present in the cocoa, along with other nutrients, including magnesium, iron, potassium, zinc, manganese, and calcium. Due to its super-potent antioxidants, cacao has been shown to protect the nervous system, slow our aging process, reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease and stroke, and reduce both blood pressure and insulin resistance levels. We also would like to mention that this superfood releases more than just scrumptious flavors to make us happy, as it actually increases the levels of certain neurotransmitters in our brains, such as serotonin, that promote a general sense of happiness and calm.
- 20 Medjool dates, seeded and halved
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup creamy almond butter
- 1/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup plus 1 Tbsp. natural cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/3 cup toasted almonds, well chopped
- Optional: Add cacao beans pulsed in a coffee grinder for some crunch or cranberries
- Put the dates and vanilla in a food processor and run until a chunky paste forms.
- Add the almond butter and pulse a few more times.
- Add the coconut, cocoa powder, salt and cinnamon and pulse a few more times. The mixture should be a tad crumbly, but press between your fingers and stick together. If it seems too wet to hold in a ball, add more coconut, if too dry, add a touch more almond butter or a splash of water. Add cacao beans if desired.
- Roll a heaping Tbsp. of the mixture between your palms to form a ball. Repeat with remaining mixture.
- Put your chopped almonds on a plate and roll each truffle in the almonds (apply a bit of pressure to get them to adhere).
- Place the plate in the fridge to chill for at least an hour. Truffles will keep covered in the fridge for a couple weeks. (Note: Makes 18 Non’s Superballs)