High in protein, this soup makes for a great winter recovery meal after a cold day of training. This recipe is easy to make and takes only 20 minutes of preparation with a further 40 minutes of idle cooking time.
- 3-4 Carrots, Diced
- 3 Celery Stalks, Diced
- 3-4 Garlic Cloves, Finely Minced
- 1 Large Sweet Onion, Diced
- 3-4 Tomatoes, Diced or 14.5 oz. Canned Diced Tomatoes
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Cup Basmati Rice
- 1 Cup Dried Lentils
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Thyme
- Salt (to taste)
- Pepper (to taste)
- 2 Quarts Organic Vegetable Broth
- 1 Tablespoon Tamari (Soy Sauce)
- Optional 1 Lemon (Juice Only)
- In a larger pot, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil, with a pinch of salt, and heat on medium/high. When the oil begins to simmer and is hot, add the onion, garlic & another pinch of salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5-6 minutes.
- Add the carrots, celery, another pinch of salt & pepper and cook for a further 5 minutes. Stirring occasionally.
- Increase heat to High and immediately add all the vegetable broth, basmati rice, lentils, tomatoes, thyme & tamari.
- Bring all the ingredients to a boil, reduce heat to simmer and cook for 35-40 minutes, or until lentils and rice are tender & cooked.
- If desired, add the juice from the lemon. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve in warmed bowls with your favorite fresh bread as a side, optional and not included in the nutrition label below. (Note: serves 4).