These little munchies of nutrients are an on-the-go way to carry your beloved food. You can also make these in regular-sized muffin cups for a more substantial postworkout nosh or a take-and-go breakfast option. Just increase cooking time by about 5 minutes.
- 1½ cups quick-cook oats
- 1/3 cup wheat germ
- ½ cup chopped pecans or almonds
- ¼ cup hemp seeds
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup honey or brown rice syrup
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In a large bowl, stir together oats, wheat germ, pecans or almonds, hemp seeds, cranberries, apricots, coconut, cinnamon, ginger, and salt. In a separate bowl, lightly beat egg and stir in honey or brown rice syrup and oil. Add wet ingredients to dry and mix until everything is moist.
- Divide mixture among 24 greased or paper-lined mini-muffin cups and make sure to pack it down tightly to help hold everything together. Bake for 15 minutes, or until the edges begin to brown. Let cool several minutes before unmolding. Chill in the refrigerator for up to 1 week and transport in a small zip-top bag.
- Use oats labeled “gluten-free” or replace oats with quinoa flakes, barley flakes, or spelt flakes + Use almond flour or ground flaxseed instead of wheat germ + Stir in sunflower seeds instead of hemp seeds + Swap out cranberries for dried cherries, chopped dried pineapple, or goji berries. (Note: Serves 12)