These portable snacks are easy to make and their smart nutrient mix will prevent the spike-and-crash in blood sugar that often comes with prefab carbs like sports drinks and gels.
- 1 large carrot, peeled and roughly chopped
- ½ cup pecans
- ½ cup walnuts
- 1 cup dried apricots
- Zest of 1 medium orange
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- Place carrot, pecans, and walnuts in a food processor and pulse until pulverized. Add apricots, orange zest, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt and blend until mixture sticks together when pressed between your fingers.
- Roll mixture between your hands into 1-inch balls. You should have about 16 balls. Place coconut on a plate and roll balls in the coconut, pressing down gently to adhere. Chill in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
- Use almonds instead of pecans + Swap out orange zest for lemon zest + Replace coconut with hemp seeds or sesame seeds. (Note: Serves 8)