Get a boost of protein from these savory egg muffins. Try customizing with your favorite veggie and cheese add-ins and serve up by slicing onto whole grain toast, crumbling in a wrap or throwing on top of rice or steamed sweet potatoes.
- 4 eggs
- 4 egg whites
- 2 T 2% milk
- ½ tsp pepper
- 8 ounces turkey or chicken sausage
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 8 ounces button or cremini mushrooms, sliced
- ¼ cup leeks (or onion), finely diced
- ¼ cup shredded Gouda cheese
- Heat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, egg whites, milk and pepper.
- Remove the sausage from the casing and crumble into a skillet over medium heat. Cook 6–8 minutes until brown and transfer to a bowl.
- In the same skillet, add the olive oil, leeks (or onion) and mushrooms and sauté for 5–7 minutes, until golden. Add this to the bowl with the sausage along with the Gouda cheese.
- Coat a muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Evenly divide the sausage mixture into the cups. Then pour the egg mixture over the top and bake for 25 minutes, until the tops are golden.
- Remove and let cool for 5 minutes before running a knife around the muffins and then turning the tin over onto a baking rack.
- Let cool completely, wrap muffins in foil and store in the fridge (Note: Makes 12 muffins).