This smoothie packs a powerful punch of nutrition that is ideal for a quick recovery drink or breakfast. Keep it in a cooler to enjoy right after a workout. What are the benefits in this drink? Oranges contain vitamin C, which helps decrease inflammation. Lucuma powder, which has a smooth and creamy flavor, helps in healing, tissue regeneration, skin aging and inflammation reduction (can be purchased at health food stores). Marrying orange and vanilla gives this smoothie a tasty balance of flavors. Chia seeds add protein, fiber and Omega 3’s.
- 8 oz milk or milk substitute
- 4 oz orange juice (freshly squeezed if possible)
- 1 tsp orange zest (grate rind of orange with grater or microplane)
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lucuma powder (can be purchased at health food stores)
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder (one recommendation is Vega Vanilla Recovery Protein Powder)
- 6 ice cubes
- Pinch of sea salt
- 2 tsp chia seeds (optional)
- Combine all the ingredients in a blender for about 30 seconds, until smooth and creamy.