This one bowl is loaded with the immune-boosting and recovery-promoting support that you need as an endurance athlete after long workouts (3 hours +). Warm and creamy hot cereal, with a touch of ginger to decrease inflammation is complemented by crisp fresh fruit, crunchy walnuts and tangy golden raisins. Pomegranate seeds supply powerful antioxidants, while kiwi boasts a high concentration of vitamin C to ward off cold and sickness. Walnuts are also known to contain antioxidants and omega 3’s, which also ward off inflammation. Plus, this bowl is as beautiful as it is good for you.
- 1/3 cup whole grain, whole wheat farina cereal (cream of wheat)
- 1/2 cup vanilla almond milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp ground or fresh ginger
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 kiwis, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 pear, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1 TBSP chopped walnuts
- 1 TBSP golden raisins
1. In a large pot, bring the almond milk, water, maple syrup (or coconut sugar), vanilla, ginger and salt to a simmer.
2. Add the wheat farina and bring to a low rolling boil. Cover and turn heat to simmer for 3-5 minutes until the cereal starts to thicken.
3. Remove from heat and pour into two bowls.
4. Top each bowl with 1 of the sliced kiwis, the pear slices, pomegranate seeds, walnuts and raisins.
5. Customize by adding or subtracting fruit, adding a protein boost of amaranth or quinoa to the cereal, or topping with hemp seeds, flax seeds, candied ginger, coconut or any of your favorite toppings (Note: 1 Serving).