This time, it is about eggs and tomatoes. Why eggs? They are easy and fast to cook, most people like them and they have so many uses. Tomatoes because we have fresh ones in the backyard and need to use them...The recipe below has some twists to the usual scrambled egg. To make it a successful meal it needs to have flavors. The balance is key here. If you go too much towards the super strict regime healthy food, stripped of fat, carbs, flavor and life – then there is no point in trying to mimic a wonderful dish. So you have to give a little to get a little, and in this recipe we included sun ripe tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, basil, olive oil and salt and black pepper. Try it and let us know what you think.
- 6 egg whites
- 100 g cherry or tomatoes of your preference
- 125 g fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 handful fresh basil, finely chopped, divided
- 1 Tablespoon cooked yellow onion (optional)
- 1 lemon, zest
- Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- Salt and pepper
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk the eggs with salt, pepper and finely grated nutmeg.
- Season the tomato halves with the salt and black pepper to taste and break up the mozzarella into small bits.
- In a nonstick pan with a lid over medium heat, warm the oil. Add the onion (cook until translucent), tomatoes and cook for another minute. Add ½ the basil and the mozzarella to the pan and pour the egg whites over the mixture. Cover, reduce the heat to low, and cook until the egg whites have set. Remove from the heat.
- To serve: Top with the remaining basil, the lemon zest, and the nutmeg and serve warm with one slices of the bread (included in nutritional information). (Note: Serves 2).
- Alternatives: Spread the mixture as thin as a pancake in the pan and roll it up like a galette or wrap for a great ride snack or quick lunch (add a salad if desired).